Wednesday, March 23, 2011

On brighter notes,

Jack is almost done. I need to tone down his whites, and tidy him up a bit more.
I am dying to re-do his tail now I have used Laura's method, but I shall resist, and save my itchy fingers for the casting proof :)
On a side note ...I cannot believe how much static dust/fluff sticks to a black horse when you are photographing them!










Coat of colours.

Layers of colour laid down, I am pretty sure I have the right tones, hours of work, dappling receding under to just a subtle hint, and then ...



Dang it there is a 'blob' just below his offside hip, wondering now if I can spot fix him, or if I shall have to strip him completely. Kicking myself I did not notice it sooner, can you see it?


This is the colour I am aiming for, this little girl is my Australian Riding Pony, Lynlea Sundance. She is already piling on the winter woolies *sigh*




Friday, March 18, 2011

Post surgery.

I think he is looking a lot less giraffe like now. I have also added to his belly, and hips.


He also has a face now, and a little personality :)



Today he will get his mane and genitalia, some more sanding and hopefully a coat of primer.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Blue painters tape and other stuff.

Finally made it into town early this week, and grabbed myself some supplies, YAY!
I have been keen to follow Laura Skillern's tutorial for tail CM'ing on her brilliant Blogspot http://donteatthepaint.blogspot.com/ , (I really cannot recommend this Blog enough), as I pretty much have sucked at tails in the past and am wanting to improve.

So supplies assembled:
One moderately hacked up and melted pony, armature wire, super glue, Bicarb soda, and blue tape :)


After passing the wire through his, err, rear end and up through his neck to his ears, I Bicarbed and Superglued it into place, then taped over it. A couple of coats of glue/Bicarb mix over the tape and we were ready to tango :D.

Almost there ...

Of course me being me, with the help of fellow Blabbers , I realised his neck was too long, no surprises there, lol. So once again, it will be "Off with his Head!"

Other then being cross at myself for not double measuring his neck before getting caught up in muscles, I am really chuffed with how he is turning out, and super dooper chuffed with his tail. And it was easy peasy, onwards and upwards!

Thank you so much Laura!

Monday, March 14, 2011

"Off with his head!"

I don't recommend this at home, normally one customises, then primes, then paints the ponies. Nup, to mundane for me, lol, I like to chop my horses up after I have spent weeks painting them.
I wrapped him to protect the hours of work already invested in painting him.
Poor Jack looks a little horrified.
Head back on, hopefully a little re sculpting and he will be as good as new. I am however thinking it may be a total neck/mane re sculpt.
Funny, he still looks deeply worried! ;D

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Light bulb moments ...

Jack has been on my bench in resin for nigh on 14 months, prepped primed and ready to go to the US for casting, but something was niggling me, I was never 100% happy with him.

I have been painting an AP copy of Jack for myself, a portrait of my own Welsh stallion. I have been happy with the paint job, but trying to take photos of him has been driving me spare, he looks great in real life, but dreadful in his photos:(
Why is this pony so gosh darn hard to photograph!

That was when I had my light bulb moment. His neck is too long, and now I have discovered his problem, it is soooo clear to me, I am amazed I have not seen it sooner!



This is Jack with a little neck lipo ...



and this is him before,




Up close of his ticking. Lots more to go :)